USA Network has kicked off Characters Unite Month, a time when the network shines an even brighter spotlight on combating hate and discrimination. Through February, USA will feature special on-air programming, digital content and community initiatives featuring a wide array of high-profile actors, musicians, athletes and political leaders.
Characters Unite Month key elements include:
- “NFL Characters Unite:” In “NFL Characters Unite,” NFL stars share deeply personal stories of facing hardships in their lives, and they mentor young people in their communities who are currently struggling to fit in, deal with bullying and overcome adversity. Players featured in this year's initiative include Kansas City Chiefs running back Jamaal Charles, Philadelphia Eagles running back Darren Sproles, Buffalo Bills defensive end Mario Williams, and 2014 Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl champion cornerback Richard Sherman and head coach Pete Carroll. Through meaningful conversations and unique one-on-one confidence building activities made possible by local YMCAs, the players encourage the kids they meet to find the character, strength, and courage to persevere and pursue their own dreams. “NFL Characters Unite” airs Friday, Feb. 6, 7 p.m./6 p.m. CT and is available on USA on Demand starting Feb. 7.
- “I Won’t Stand For…” PSA Campaign: USA will share dozens of short vignettes on-air and online with a wide array of celebrities and trailblazers sharing what form of hate and discrimination they won’t stand for. Participants include: WWE Superstar Big Show and WWE Divas the Bella Twins; USA actors Patrick J. Adams of “Suits” and Mark Feuerstein of “Royal Pains”; Grammy-winning artists Macklemore & Ryan Lewis and Cyndi Lauper; members of Congress from both sides of the aisle; and many more.
- Characters Unite Film Series: Building on the ongoing Characters Unite Film Series to use the power of storytelling to raise awareness of social injustice and inspire change, USA will commemorate Black History Month by presenting “Glory,” based on the true story of the all-black regiment during the Civil War. The critically acclaimed film, starring Matthew Broderick and Oscar-winner Denzel Washington, will air with limited commercials on Saturday, Feb/ 21, at 7 p.m./6 p.m. CT.
- Digital Campaign: Throughout the month, Characters Unite will encourage fans to take part via social media in the “I Won’t Stand For…” movement by creating their own custom “I Won’t Stand For…” photos at join.charactersunite.com and by joining the conversation on Twitter using the hashtag #IWontStandFor. New content also will be available at charactersunite.com, including information, resources and ideas on how to get involved in the campaign.
- USA Unite Awards: USA and its partners will launch the USA Unites Awards to honor extraordinary individuals who are improving lives and strengthening their communities. The program kicks off with an on-air spot featuring “Suits” star Patrick J. Adams calling for nominations. Winners will be featured on-air and online and will receive a $5,000 grant to continue their work.
Visit www.charactersunite.com for more information and to find out what you can do to make a difference.